So, do you want the good news or the bad news first on this Opening Day? I think I’ll start with the bad so I can end with the good. And I feel some lists coming on:
Bad List (Barf):
- Two of the five runs scored today by the Giants were scored by the pitcher. Where’s the power?? Belt, Posey, and Parker were hitless in a hitter’s park. Granted it was against Greinke, but Buster hits well against Greinke usually. And Belt and Parker are lefties.
- Once Madison got into the stretch, the game fell apart. All momentum lost.
- Pitchers blew saves not once but twice IN A SINGLE GAME!! And one was blown by the guy who was supposed to stop all this. Andrew Baggarly even predicted it on Twitter – “Don’t forget – you can blow more than one save in a game.” Thanks, Mr. Jinx. I love how the abbreviation for blown save in the box score is BS – BECAUSE THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT IT IS!!!
- They didn’t show the National Anthem on TV so I missed out on some of the Opening Day festivity glory. Thanks new NBC Sports Bay Area for robbing me of my hooplah!
- We lost. We can’t go 162-0 anymore. Dreams shattered.
Good List (Bliss):
- Stud muffin Madison Bumgarner took a perfect game into the 6th
- Madison Bumgarner, the starting pitcher, hit two homeruns. WHAT?? He’s the only pitcher IN MLB HISTORY to ever hit 2 homeruns in an Opening Day game.
- Madison Bumgarner now has the most career home runs (16) of any Giants pitcher EVER and the most of any current pitcher.
- Madison Bumgarner has the highest batting average (1.000 – he went 2 for 2 with a walk) and the highest number of homeruns (2) in all of baseball (hey, it’s true!!). Sorry all of this was overshadowed by the loss today, Dude.
- Eduardo Nunez went 3 for 4 today. He also made a great defensive play, saving extra bases.
- Though Brandon Belt didn’t get a hit, he did walk twice. Good eye, Kid.
- Conor Gillaspie came through with a pinch hit RBI – exactly what he was hired to do. Nice one!
- Ty Blach and Hunter Strickland pitched really well in relief. There’s hope for that bullpen.
- Greinke didn’t look great – hopefully it stays that way throughout the season.
- I actually got to watch my boys play in a game that counted. BASEBALL IS BACK!!
Bliss and barf – if you are a true baseball fan, you have to take the bad with the good. Guess that’s why we love it so much. The rollercoaster ride never ends! Next game is on Tuesday against the D-Backs. Get some rest, Boys, and shrug this one off. We know there is more bliss hiding in there somewhere. You can do it! Until next time, GO GIANTS!! AVENGE MAD BUM!!